Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Stuffies

My first attempt at a stuffed bunny with a gusset
A couple weeks before Easter this year I decided to try to remake my favorite little stuffed rabbit I've had since, well, as long as I can remember. I've made plenty of animal shaped pillows and a few rag dolls over the years, but never an animal figure with a gusset. A gusset is what makes the head round and helps the stuffed figure to stand or sit on a flat bottom rather than just lay flat like a pillow.

Second white and pink bunny with Flying Nun ears.
I also decided to challenge myself and sewed the bunny completely by hand rather than by machine. I used white felt and the pink in his ears and eyes is from a recycled t-shirt. I think he looks more like a wise old rabbit than a cute little bunny, but I was happy with his shape so decided to make a second by machine.

I sewed her from soft white fleece and some scrap pink and green plaid. I tried to make her ears stand up like the wise old rabbit, but she loves Sally Field and would rather look like the Flying Nun character.

After sewing these two animals I decided to create a few more designs.  I find it easier to sew my smaller creations by hand, although it does take longer.
Cats and Dogs, original designs by Amy Lyn


My first attempt at Llamas, original design by Amy Lyn

My first turtle, I added the green shell after Sam said he looked naked without one.

I often wish I was one of those artists who could look at something and draw it just as it is. But, whenever I've tried to do that, it just comes out cartoony and not realistic at all. So, after many years I've decided to embrace my goofy cartoon style and go with it. These little critters just make me smile. :)

1 comment:

  1. Loving your style! - especially the turtle and llamas. Great shapes - quirky and cute! Adds to their uniqueness!

    ReplyDelete