Saturday, May 18, 2013

Creating Altered Journals

My friend Debbie Gilbert of the Altered Bee in Bristol, NH, not only has the most fun and funky, eclectic shop in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire, but she also creates beautiful, one of a kind altered journals.


I wrote an article for the Examiner about a class she taught the other night at the Gordon-Nash Library in New Hampton, NH. Click here to read "Creating altered journals from recycled and found materials". 

In the class she showed us how to creatively recycle worn out book covers, used sewing patterns, stray playing cards, puzzle pieces and loads of mismatched papers into our own, one of a kind altered journals. Everyone in the class enjoyed making flowers out of sewing patterns for the fronts of our journals. (I'm planning to make a DIY video tutorial with Debbie very soon so stay tuned.)

I must admit, given my sewing pattern addiction, I'm very glad she cut up the patterns before bringing them to the class. Otherwise I would have been torn between really wanting to sew whatever the pattern was and also wanting to make the awesome little flower.

Last month Debbie and I both had pieces in  "The Book Remade", an art show of altered books at the Gordon-Nash Library . Books being recycled and altered into art and furniture is gaining interest worldwide and is a very popular trend on Pinterest. (you can click the Pinterest link to follow my boards.)
As you can tell from the picture below, I went in a very different direction with my "altered book". While Debbie's created a dainty, beautiful and very usable piece of altered art, mine was just a bloody mess.
I'm a fan of Patricia Cornwell. A few years ago I picked up a bunch of her books at a library book sale. I decided to use one of the really junky, torn up paperbacks for my altered book project. So in my homage her Kay Scarpetta series, I used that book to create a bloody shoe and severed foot.
While I'm pretty sure Debbie won't be holding any "bloody book" classes any time soon, she will be holding classes in the future for creating altered journals. 
Don't have time to make your own altered journal? She also sells them along with, vintage inspired jewelry, antique ephemera, funky T-shirts, and a variety of handmade items ather shop,  The Altered Bee at 22 Central Square, Bristol, NH. The Bristol square is currently going through a major renovation, but there is plenty of parking available and her shop is well worth the visit. For more information about the store or classes, call 603-744-2331. 

No comments:

Post a Comment